Microsoft OneDrive for Business (Office 365 for Mac & Windows) Google One and Dropbox
Cloud is one of the attractive features provided by most of the email providers like provided by Microsoft OneDrive for Business and Personal use.
There are companies like Dropbox who are providing standalone cloud storage.
Cloud is the storage provided by most of the providers so that a person can store the data on the remote drive which can be accessed from everywhere with just a device and an internet connection.
What is Cloud (Microsoft OneDrive, Google One and Dropbox)?
Unlike traditional storage devices like hard drives or CDs, where information was stored in a physical format, all the data in the cloud is stored virtually on servers. Furthermore, you can access everything that is on the cloud from any computer that has an internet connection.
Cloud storage is defined as “the storage of data online in the cloud” It is just like a virtual drive that works on every device and from every location wherever you go.
You can store music, pictures, files, folders, etc. from your home computer and access them on your work computer with just a single login.
The drives (Cloud Storage) are generally attached to the emails so that you do not have to login again and again.
Cloud computing (Cloud Storage) is an on-demand computing model that is completely dependent on a stable Internet connection to share and access data across multiple devices such as computers or smartphones.
Benefits of Cloud
- Greater accessibility – The data can be accessed from multiple devices and multiple locations rather than the traditional one-point access on a single device.
- Reliability – The data stored on the cloud will always be accessible till the time cloud exists because the data is stored on multiple locations on servers located at different locations so that even if one server stops working the data is still accessible from the other servers.
- Strong protection – The data stored on the cloud is encrypted and is stored with many layers of security which is next to impossible to breach. However, the data stored traditionally is not at all stored with data protection in mind.
- Data backup – Cloud provides the easiest way to back up the important files which can be accessed even after a decade.
Demerits of Cloud
- Dependent on Internet Connection – Since cloud-based solutions are based on the internet upload and download speed, any latency in the connection can create problems.
- Costs – For a corporate and small business this option can be viable but still the technology is expensive for the home users.
- Customer Support – Customer Service is one of the points where companies lack as the support is provided through forums and communities and there is no dedicated customer service center for support.
- Privacy issues – Storing sensitive data on a third party cloud could storage is a bit of an issue concerning who owns the information.
What all options are available?
- OneDrive – OneDrive offers 5GB cloud storage for free
- Google One – Google Drive’s (Google One) cloud storage free plan offers 15GB
- Dropbox – Dropbox offers 2GB free cloud storage
Microsoft OneDrive for Business (Office 365 Mac & Windows)
OneDrive is available for all the platforms, be it iOS, Mac, Windows or Android.
Cloud storage by Microsoft OneDrive is available standalone and with Office 365 too. In standalone OneDrive you don’t get the office apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. however, with the office 365 you get the apps with Business-class email hosting with 50 GB mailbox
Google One for Business & Personal (Mac & Windows)
Google One is available for all the platforms, be it iOS, Mac, Windows or Android.
The free storage offered by Google is 15GB and after that, the first plan is for 100 GB and more which also includes access to Google experts, option to add your family so that everyone gets access to the benefits of Google One.
Dropbox for Business & Personal (Mac & Windows)
Dropbox is also available for all the platforms, be it iOS, Mac, Windows or Android.
The free storage offered is 2GB and after that, the first plan starts with 2 TB for individuals and 5 TB for Businesses and includes features like:
- Best-in-class sync technology
- Integrated desktop experience
- 256-bit AES and SSL/TLS encryption
- File recovery and version history, etc.
If you have any question regarding cloud space offered then click on the above links for the official websites or click on the Technician Help Form for any unanswered questions or ask on our social platforms. Technician Help Form