What is a Microsoft Account Recovery Code
The Microsoft Account (also known as Hotmail or Outlook) Recovery Code is an alphanumeric code that can be used to recover an account if the recovery information (a phone number or the email address) is not working.
It is a 25 character alphanumeric code that can be generated by login into the account security section. We will get to the code in a while but before that let’s talk about the benefits of it.
Benefits of Recovery Code
- If the account you are using is hacked but you have the recovery code, you can easily gain access back.
- If the recovery options (also known as security info) is outdated as you forgot to update the info and you have forgotten the password for your account too, you can gain the access to your account using recovery code
This 25 digit alphanumeric code (Microsoft Account Recovery Code) works as the master key to your email account.
How to get Microsoft | Outlook | Hotmail Account Recovery Code
Login to your account and click on account setting the last option is security which should look like the below image.
Once you click on Security on the next page it will give you four options viz. change password, recent sign inactivity, and more security options.
Click on the last one which is more security options, as shown in the picture below.
Now on this page, you will see the option “Recovery Code” as shown below.
Click on the link and it will show you your master code for the email account which should look like the image below.
How to use Microsoft | Outlook | Hotmail Account Recovery Code
- To recover your account using the Account Recovery Code visit outlook.com.
- Enter your email address and click on Forgot password
- After clicking on forgot password it will give you a screen to enter the recovery code
- After entering the Microsoft recovery code click on the use recovery code option and reset your account password.
Steps to recover Microsoft Account
- Go to Recover your account and enter the email address, phone number, or Skype name you use to sign in. Then select Next.
- It will ask where you’d like to get your security code. Choose one of the alternate contact email addresses or phone numbers on this account. Then select Next.
- If you don’t recognize any of the contact methods listed, select the back arrow on your browser and make sure you have entered the correct username. Sometimes a misspelling can send you in the wrong direction.
- If there are no contact methods on the account that you can use, select I don’t have any of these and then skip ahead in this article to “Recover your Microsoft account if you can’t receive a verification code” below.
- Type the requested info to verify that it’s really your email address or phone number. Next, select Send code.
- Microsoft will send the security code to the alternate contact you chose. If you don’t see it, check your junk folder. If it’s not there, you can select Use a different verification option.
- Type the security code into Verify your identity, then select Next.
- Type your password into the New password box. Then confirm it by typing it again into the Reenter password.
If even after following these steps you are not able to unlock your email account then you can contact us by clicking on Technician Help Form