How to change or reset the password for Microsoft | Hotmail | Outlook Account
The security of an email account is of prime importance. If you feel that someone is using your email account, you should consider changing the password of your email account immediately.
these are a few things that one should keep in mind while changing or creating a new password. Few of them are
- Password should not include common terms (eg. password123)
- Password should not include first or last name
- The password should include a capital letter along with few numbers with a special character.
- It should be a strong password with at least 10 to 12 or even more characters.
Change or reset the password for Microsoft | Hotmail | Outlook Account. Below are the steps:- (How to change the password for Hotmail)
- logon to Outlook.com click on Sign in and enter email address and press on next
- If you don’t remember the password, then click on Forgot password?
- A new page which says ‘We need to verify your identity‘ will come up as shown in the image below
- If the security info is valid then proceed else click on Show more verification methods
- Send the security code to the security info linked to the account, or if you don’t have the recovery info then click on I don’t have any of these and fill the online form to recover the account.
- If you have the access to the security info then select the number or the email address and send code, it will give you ‘We need to verify your identity‘
- Enter the last 4-digits of the phone number or the complete email address and click on Get Code
- On the next screen, it will ask for the code, enter the code and reset your Hotmail or outlook password. The password should be of 8-character minimum; case sensitive as shown in the image below
If you have printed the Microsoft recovery code then you can select I don’t have any of these, it will give you the option to recover the account using the 25 digit recovery code
How to reset Hotmail password on phone (Android or iPhone)
On the mobile, it’s the app that we use to access the email accounts and it has limited functionality.
And in the apps, it’s not possible to change the password, because we don’t have the option to change it. We can change the password on a computer or on a phone browser and then update the same password on the app.
If still after resetting the password and updating it on the app it’s not working consider removing the account from the app and adding it again on the email app.