Steps to make Hotmail account secure.
Try to keep a check on the following mentioned points at least once in a month or two, it will help you keep an email account secure.
Email account gets hacked mainly because of the silly mistakes that we make while accessing our emails and using our Outlook or Hotmail accounts.
Below mentioned are the few things that one can check to make the account safer to use.
Change Password frequently – Make an email account secure
Changing your email account’s password every after a few months is one of the best practices that one can follow. You can follow the steps and change your emails password with visuals by clicking on ‘Change the password for Hotmail account‘
When you create a new password make sure it is a strong password that you have not used it before, it should be a combination of an upper case, a special character, and a few numbers (eg. TestPassw0rd#787)
If you save the password on the browser, make sure you update the password on your web browser, else it will give you a prompt for the incorrect password.
If you are using the Hotmail or Outlook email account on a mobile device, then you have to update the same password on the app too else it will stop syncing with the mail server and might give you an error ‘can’t get mails‘ or the email will stay in the outbox as shown in the image below.
Enable Two-step or Two Factor authentication
Two-step or two Factor authentication is the enhanced feature provided by almost all the email providers.
Two-step verification requires at least two recovery info or security info to enable it, one can be an email address and the other one can be a phone number.
It requires you to send a code on the email or the phone number linked to your account for every login till you have not set it up as a trusted device on which you login.
To enable login to your Hotmail or Outlook account, click on your name on the top right corner, then click on ‘My Account‘ and select ‘Security‘.
After clicking on the Security, click on ‘More security options‘ and click on Set up two-step verification.
Review recent sign-in activity frequently
If you get an email about unusual sign-in activity on your email account, or if you are skeptical about someone using your account then follow the below-mentioned steps to check it.
Make sure you check them at least once a week. This will help you in tracking your email accounts activity (prevention is better than cure). And if you see any unusual activity on the recent sign-in page, we recommend changing your password immediately and check your security information as well. If it is not updated then update it with the latest one.
Steps to follow:
- First login to your email account.
- Click on the image on the extreme top right corner, and select ‘My account’
- On the new page click on Security on the top. then you will get four options the first one is Sign-in activity, click on ‘view my activity’
- Now it will ask you to verify your identity by send a text message or email to the security information.
- Enter the code you received and check the recent sign-in activity.
Create Microsoft account 25 digit recovery code
The Microsoft Account Recovery Code is a code that can be used to recover an account in any situation. even if the account is hacked or blocked.
It is a 25 character alphanumeric code that can be generated by login into the account security section. We will get the code in a while but before that let’s talk about the benefits of it.
Steps to follow:
- Login to your account and click on account setting the last option is security
- Once you click on Security on the next page it will give you four options viz. change password, recent sign inactivity, and more security options
- Click on the last one which is more security options, as shown in the picture below
- Now on this page, you will see the option “Recovery Code”
- Click on the link and it will show you your master code for the email account.
Remove all the trusted devices – Make an email account secure
If you have added a device to your trusted device, in that case, it will not ask for the verification code to access the security info.
Also, you can change the password on your trusted device without code verification.
If you think someone is using your Microsoft account (Hotmail or Outlook) even after changing the password, consider removing all the trusted devices for your email account will make it more secure.
- Log in to the Microsoft account and click on manage account
- Select devices
- Select Don’t see your device? and follow the instructions.
Once the device is added to the trusted device it will not ask for a code for any security update from that device.
Check the existing rules and Email forwarding
Rules are the preset guidelines or instructions given to the email account to be performed whenever you receive an email.
- Login to your Microsoft Account and click on the gear icon on the top right corner. A list of options will come up click on the last one which is view all outlook settings
- After clicking on view all outlook settings you will get an option ‘+Add new rule‘ click on it to create a rule.
- You can give a name to the rule you are creating and add the conditions to it.
- To delete the rules simply click on the trash bin icon next to the rules and it will be deleted.
Avoid clicking on the unwanted link
Spam emails also referred to as junk email, are unwanted emails with unknown content, link, file or attachment.
These are the emails that no one has subscribed to but still land in the inbox.
They often have a clickable link or attachment, once the file is downloaded or clicked on the link the device on which the emails are used or the email account starts behaving unusually.
Spam emails are further divided into a few broad categories:-
- Phishing Fraud emails
- Emotional Scam emails
- Virus or Malware scams
- Viagra, Replica Watch, Stock and Weight Loss Email, etc.
How to block emails on Hotmail or Outlook – Make an email account secure
- Click on the drop-down next to Junk and select Block
- Click on the drop-down and select Block to Block a sender
These are the safety measures for an Outlook or Hotmail account that one can follow to make the account more secure.